Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July). For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted. Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants.
I wrote this blog in August 2009 and want to share it with everyone since next month is for celebrating our magic milk!
August is World Breastfeeding Month..it's funny that I decided to take a 5-day trip to Sagada to attempt to wean Benny from my breast. After all, it has been two years and four months.
When I first started breastfeeding, I said I would do it for three months..that's all I wanted. But the bond and intimacy shared between Benny and me was priceless that I decided to keep at it longer and longer.
The weaning process was a long one. The trip was actually a test for independence: for Benny and for me as well (I'm sure you can relate yummymums, our children get along fine without us..it's us mums that feel that little sharp pain in the heart when your child looks at you with eyes that say, yes mum, i can do it by myself.)
I pumped a bit, missed Benny a lot and came home to an independent little man who was singing the chorus of Michael Jackson's Beat It with his cousins. After some playing, he came to me and said, 'mama dee, i want mamam (milky).' I explained that my milk was almost gone (today, i am not sure if i should have said that coz it made me sad too.) and so Benny, with his bright smart eyes said, ok, i want TO HOLD mamam. (fine, if i can't drink it, can i at least hold them???!! what a sweetheart.)
it's been 12 days and he's been sleeping well..some nights are hard and cranky, but we almost always end up hugging in bed, his head and hands close to my chest. i am always in love.
i kinda miss giving him my magic milk, but treasure every single fleeting moment of these two years. to all mothers out there, breastfeeding is a joy. i will always love it. keep feeding!
p.s. have you seen the LATCH and QTV plugs for breastfeeding? :)
more to come!
another heart warming vid i want to share
p.p.s. OH, just so you know- benny and i went back to bfeeding after 2 weeks of having none..i said my milk dried up in the cold air in Sagada and he believed me until he saw me expressing milk one day in the shower and said: it's magic mum!! you have milk again!! so we were back at it for another 10 months until scotch tape did the trick and i was able to successfully wean Benny from my breast at 2.10 years old!
Today, he still pretends to drink sometimes, for comfort and he says that there is still milk and it is sweet like avocadoes or chocolates! He gropes me to sleep and caresses me at night. I allow him because one day he will be too big to do so. :* And honestly, i do miss it too sometimes..
Please visit and comment on the other Milk Mama Diaries Carnival participants!
* Breastfeeding Promotion Tips from a Formula Feeder (Yes, you read that correctly…) by The Fearless Formula Feeder
* A Simple Breastfeeding Campaign by The Lazy Mama
* I Am A Breastfeeding Mom by The Painter’s Wife
* The Low-Milk-Supply Mommy Did It! by The Odyssey of Dinna
* On Promoting Breastfeeding by ImPerfectly Created
* Mama Milk Diaries 3 by Benz Co-Rana
* Why I Don’t Nurse in Breastfeeding Rooms by Legally Mom
* Breastfeeding Mama by canDIshhh
* I *heart* Breastfeeding by The Mum Side
* Spreading the Word on Breastfeeding by Mommy Kwentos
* A Breastfeeding Formula-Fed Mother by Soprano Mom
* Breastfeeding: Promoting It Even If I Didn’t Get Lucky The First Time Around by Glamma Momma
* Taking Breastfeeding Further by Mec as a Mom
* Three Ways I Promote Breastfeeding by Example by Dainty Mom
A Simple Breastfeeding Campaign by The Lazy Mama
* I Am A Breastfeeding Mom by The Painter's Wife