Vegetarian Dee

Friday, October 12, 2007

starting solids

october 8..benny celebrated his half-year mark..my my how time flies. really.

that meant introducing some solids to his diet. as an Open 24/7 No Reservations milk machine, the idea of food for benny was a little bit scary.

"oh no, what if he likes the food better than me?"

I was worried.

I saw how he looked at us with intent in his eyes when we'd eat on the dinner table. I watched how his head would turn to an almost right angle as he sat on my lap and looked up as my fork traveled from the plate to the mouth. He was ready.

So I did it. I introduced my sunshine boy to oatmeal three mornings ago...first with a little bit on my clean finger, then with his spoon. He took to it well. It was adorable how he opened his mouth and leaned towards the spoon.

Oatmeal dripped from his lips, but he enjoyed it. So did I. (Even if I had a sudden fear in my head about the day when he'd stop drinking my milk:<)

So I have officially started solids I guess. I used oatmeal from the local grocery, ground to a powder in the blender, and cooked in a little water. He eats very little so far, but we enjoy his feeding paraphernalia from Baby & Co (except I had to exchange the cute colorful ones because they were made in China!!)

Food glorious food.

The funnest part of it all is that Ben still adores my milk-giving breasts! Even if they have shrinked to size, adjusted to his need, he giggles and half whines with desire when I position myself next to him in the bed right before a feed. Like he really wants it. I love that.

A friend of mine had a daughter refuse her breast after five months of mix feeding. The infant enjoyed her new fake nipple. This friend of mine experienced depression. I am guessing it was the grieving from weening?

I know it will be hard for me...so milk, keep flowing and Benny, keep sucking!

4 comments:

dharmadreams said...

DUDE i could NOT concentrate on your video because of the background music.... cheesy de todo :P

deelirious said...

hahahahh..i know i will take a better one. i didnt even notice until i watched the video!! hahaah!!

Sabrina said...

hahahha! it might be you.... LOL

jencc said...

ya know, that was one of my worries din before---na when the kids start solids, goodbye mommy na. but then, lookit kevin...i wanna say goodbye na and he doesn't yet! lol!